Established in 2012, Imkaans works in marginalized and stateless communities, those impacted by challenges due to poverty and identity issues. There is a special focus on women and children with projects meant to empower and progress. Imkaans projects provide services and support in legal services and empowerment, education, mother & child health, recreation & sports , legal protection, mental health, maternity and a clean environment through waste management. Imkaan was founded on the tenet that each child not only has the right to live but to thrive.
“No child’s life shall be curtailed by the circumstances of his or her birth because each one deserves absolute love and infinite opportunity to grow.”
Registered under the Voluntary Social Welfare Agencies (Registration and Control) Ordinance, 1961, the objectives of Imkaan are:
- To instil in the heart of every child the belief that he or she has a right to not only live, but to do so with meaning and dignity;
- Provide and ensure quality healthcare, education, and recreation to all children;
- Providing probono legal services to stateless communities and assistance in acquisition of citizenship
- To nurture the belief that every child has the right to grow and thrive in a clean environment;
- To ensure that no child is murdered or abandoned under extreme conditions;
- Advocacy and awareness for the rights of the stateless communities.
- Ensure that each abandoned child is placed with a forever family; we offer support prior to, during and after adoption;
- Establish a network of maternity, prenatal and neonatal clinics in order to provide qualified support and healthcare to mothers and mothers-to-be;
- Ensure community empowerment by creating business and livelihood opportunities;
- Provides services decided by the board within the scope of the law.